The Ottawa Public Library (OPL) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa have collaborated to open Ottawa’s first public makerspace entitled Imagine Space – an American corner. Makerspaces are creation and collaboration hubs, offering technologies and tools that allow customers to experiment and to create in a social setting. They are built on the premise that knowledge and learning is often better transmitted via sharing, collective problem solving, and task performance.
The following cutting edge equipment is available in the Imagine Space:
- 3D printing and modeling
- Laser cutting
- Photo, video and audio editing
- Green screen and video gear
- Hand tools and electronics
- Wall-to-wall whiteboard
The Imagine Space is located in the Nepean Centrepointe branch, 101 Centrepointe drive.
Imagine Space hours
- Mondays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Thursdays - 1:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Fridays - 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturdays - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays - Closed between June 8 and August 31, 2014
Note: The last time slots of the day, booked for the laser cutter or 3D printer, must end no later than 15 minutes before closing.