askON reference service
Real people. Real Info. Real time.
askON is a virtual research help service offered by your library and Ask Ontario. Start a chat session and get help from a real person. You will get an immediate response during the hours of operation. Got a question?
Type your question into the box to start chatting.
Monday - Thursday: 12:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Get research assistance for:
- online resources and books
- general or specific topic
At the end of your session:
- You can print a transcript of your session or request it by email
- Fill out a short survey to help us improve this service
Note: You can send an email to OPL when this service is closed.
Please note that:
- askON responds to questions on a wide range of subjects. We accept requests from visitors outside participating libraries but we may, depending on the question and staff availability refer you to your local library.
- We will not answer personal questions or questions that contain offensive language. We monitor usage and reserve the right to disconnect those who display rude or inappropriate behaviour.
- There are two to four librarians online but sometimes we are busy managing large numbers of people asking questions at the same time. Be patient with us.
- askON will be closed on regular holidays and when public libraries are normally closed.
- askON collects the minimum amount of information from visitors necessary to provide effective service. Your privacy is protected and your phone number is anonymous. Your email address, if given, is not stored and will not be used for any other purpose.