Harry Potter read-alikes for grown-ups
So yes, unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know that the final Harry Potter movie is coming out today. In fact, who knows? Maybe you're reading this on your mobile device (onto which you've obvs already downloaded our app, right?) wearing yesterday's clothes and waiting in line to see the film!
Some of you may be feeling a bit bereft soon, with no new Hogwarts adventures to delve into (well, there is this mysterious thing).
In recognition of this fact, we've made a list here of some great similar books to try out, post-Potter. Happy reading.
- Running With the Demon by Terry Brooks
- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- The book of lost things by John Connolly
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peake
- I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (no magical action, but one of Rowling's favs. This one is, in my opinion, also a massively under-appreciated book!)
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- The sorcerer's house by Gene Wolfe
There are some other great lists out there, including: