The Imagine Space will be closed from November 23 until early February
The space will be expanded from 415 square feet to 820 square feet, nearly doubling its size.
- More space to offer programs and meetings, and host tours and groups.
- Adding a second, larger and more powerful laser cutter which will help reduce wait times to use this service
- Installation of a dedicated green wall for photo/video shoots, allowing for in-space use of this service, in addition to the one available to borrow for use outside of the space
- 3D printers will be relocated to the second floor of the branch
- One MacPro will be permanently moved to the Greenboro branch
- One MacPro will be available at the Nepean Centrepointe branch
- Some maker-themed programs will continue at both Nepean Centrepointe and other branches
- 3D Printer and laser cutter certification classes will be suspended during this time
- Customers will not have access to use the laser cutter
- The green screen will available to borrow
The Ottawa Public Library (OPL) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa have collaborated to open Ottawa’s first public makerspace entitled Imagine Space – an American corner. Makerspaces are creation and collaboration hubs, offering technologies and tools that allow customers to experiment and to create in a social setting. They are built on the premise that knowledge and learning is often better transmitted via sharing, collective problem solving, and task performance.
The following cutting edge equipment is available in the Imagine Space:
- 3D printing and modeling
- Laser cutting
- Photo, video and audio editing
- Green screen and video gear
- Hand tools and electronics
- Wall-to-wall whiteboard
The Imagine Space is located in the Nepean Centrepointe branch, 101 Centrepointe drive.
Imagine Space hours
- Mondays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Thursdays - 1:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Fridays - 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturdays - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays - Closed between June 8 and August 31, 2014
Note: The last time slots of the day, booked for the laser cutter or 3D printer, must end no later than 15 minutes before closing.