You are here
3D Scanner temporarily unavailable
Please note that the 3D scanner is currently undergoing maintenance and will be temporarily unavailable.
In April 2014, the Ottawa Public Library (OPL) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa collaborated to open Ottawa’s first public makerspace entitled Imagine Space – an American corner. Makerspaces are creation and collaboration hubs, offering technologies and tools that allow customers to experiment and to create in a social setting. They are built on the premise that knowledge and learning is often better transmitted via sharing, collective problem solving, and task performance.
In January 2016, OPL reopened it's space after it was closed for two months to receive the following improvements:
- An expansion (from 415 square feet to 820 square feet), to offer programs and meetings, and host tours and groups.
- Addition of a second, larger and more powerful laser cutter to help reduce wait times to use this service
- Installation of a dedicated green wall for photo/video shoots, allowing for in-space use of this service, in addition to the one available to borrow for use outside of the space
The following cutting edge equipment is available in the Imagine Space:
- 3D printing and modeling
- Laser cutting
- Photo, video and audio editing
- Green screen and video gear
- Hand tools and electronics
- Wall-to-wall whiteboard
The Imagine Space is located in the Nepean Centrepointe branch, 101 Centrepointe drive.
Imagine Space hours
- Mondays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays - 1:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Thursdays - 1:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
- Fridays - 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturdays - 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays - 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays between June 12 and September 4, 2016
Note: The last time slots of the day, booked for the laser cutter or 3D printer, must end no later than 15 minutes before closing.