About the contest
The Awesome Authors Youth Writing Contest gives young writers, between the ages of 9 and 18, the chance to win awesome cash prizes, get published and share their talent with the world!
This contest would not be possible without the generosity of the Friends of the Ottawa Public Library Association.
Meet the judges
Our awesome judges are all local authors, and you will have the opportunity to connect with and learn from these mentors through online workshops. Visit our Youtube Channel to learn a bit more about them.
Catherine Austen writes for children, teens, and adults. Catherine’s books have won multiple awards. She has given writing workshops and presentations from coast to coast. You can find more about her on her website, and you can listen to her podcast of spooky stories here.
Apollo the Child
Apollo the Child is a Spoken Word poet, Hip Hop Artist, Radio Host, youth worker, events organizer and the current co-director of the Urban Legends Poetry Collective. Apollo is one half of the Hip Hop duo Poetic Elements with rapper/producer Masai. He has been active in the Ottawa arts scene since he was a teen.
Amelinda Bérubé writes about ghosts and monsters and other things that go bump in the night. She is the author of two novels for young adults, The Dark Beneath the Ice and Bram Stoker Award nominee Here There Are Monsters. In her other lives, Amelinda is a mother of two and a passionate gardener. Find more about her on her website.
Pierre-Luc Bélanger is an Ottawa-based author. He started writing when he was in grade 8. However, it took many years before he was able to realize his dream of being an author. Since 2013, he has published five young adults’ novels. Travel and outdoor sports are his passion and inspire him to write books. To learn more, check out his website.
To this day, Eric Péladeau published over a hundred books and has collaborated to many magazines. Many of them were nominated or winners for awards. A writer, an illustrator and a graphic designer, public speaker and stand-up comedian, Éric is not afraid to take on new challenges. Visit his website, to find out more.
Get writing tips
Register for a virtual workshop hosted by a local author, and contest judge! They will share their knowledge and experience with you! You can also visit our YouTube Channel to discover other tips from our judges.
For ages 9-12
- 10:30 am Comment devenir un super auteur, avec l’auteur Pierre-Luc Bélanger
- 1:30 pm Short Story Writing Workshop with author Catherine Austen
- 3:30 pm Poetry Workshop with spoken words artist Apollo The Child
For ages 13-18
- 1:30 pm Poetry Workshop with spoken words artist Apollo The Child
- 3:30 pm Comment devenir un super bédéiste avec l’auteur et bédéiste Éric Péladeau
- 10 :30 am How to Become an Awesome Comic Book Writer with author Éric Péladeau
- 1:30 pm Short Story Writing Workshop with author Amelinda Bérubé
- 3:30 pm Comment devenir un.e super auteur.e avec l’auteur Pierre-Luc Bélanger
Submit your entry
- Submit your work online or in person at your local OPL point of service branch or Bookmobile stop - while an employee is present.
- If you choose to submit your work in person, please make two copies of your entry, print and complete an entry form and drop by to submit your entry.
- If you are submitting in French, please use the French version of the website.
- If you are under the age of 16, permission from a parent/guardian is required to participate.