Wed, May 05, 2021
Throughout the month of May the Ottawa Public Library (OPL) will be celebrating Asian Heritage Month. Asian Heritage Month is an opportunity for all Canadians to learn more about the many contributions of Canadians of Asian descent who have done so much to make Canada the amazing country we share today.
OPL invites everyone to discover the legacy and diverse cultures of Asia through educational and cultural programs at OPL. In celebration of this year’s Asian Heritage Month 2021, the Ottawa Public library is offering livestreamed programming for all ages!
- On May 17, tune in for a live moderated discussion with Asian-Canadian author Jen Sookfong Lee, brought to you in partnership with Ottawa International Writers Fest.
- On May 20, enjoy a live demonstration of Japanese cooking with cooking instructor Emi Buzza and test out your cooking skills making salad rolls and teriyaki chicken rolls. Zoom registration required.
- Love Instagram? Check out OPL’s Teen Instagram account @oplteens_adosbpo every day during the week of May 17-21 for guest posts from local Asian community influencers. They’ll be talking all things Asian culture!
- On May 27, find a program takes us on an illustrated journey to the heart of the Silk Road in Draw my life in Uzbekistan.
- What’s better than a family dance party! Join us on Saturday May 29 for a live Family program learning how to Bollywood dance.
Tune into our weekly Storytimes for children all month long to hear a selection of stories by and about people of Asian heritage, in both English and French.
Looking for a craft to do as a family? Follow along with this instructional video linked below about traditional Koinobori Kite making and take your kite creations for an outside flight for a bonus outdoor activity! Remember to take a picture and tag us @opl_bpo so we can see all your creations.
Finally, reading books from OPL’s collection is another great way to discover the richness of Asian-Canadians' contributions to our cultural life. We're sure you're going to enjoy our selection of books, linked below.
Happy celebrating and learning!