Come join us for cake and fun!

20/11/2017

The Blackburn Hamlet branch will be celebrating its 25th anniversary in our current expanded location on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017 with puppet shows from Rag and Bone Puppet Theatre, balloon art with Brad Wood, cake and refreshments, crafts, and even a 3D printer!

 

History of the Blackburn Hamlet branch

 

The town of Blackburn Hamlet, originally called Daggsville in 1850, then called Blackburn Hamlet and Blackburn Station in 1876, was officially given its modern name in 1958.  Bob MacQuarrie, Gloucester Councillor from 1958 to 1966, increased the services available in the area, and the first Blackburn Library opened in 1973. 

Initially, this branch was comprised of two rooms at the Glen Ogilvie School, but was moved two years later to an office building at 2356 Innes Road. In 1980, the library was moved again to its current home at 199 Glen Park. The Branch was expanded in 1992 and became part of the Ottawa Public Library in 2001 after the amalgamation of the cities.

 

The celebrations of the Branch’s 25th anniversary in its current expanded location, will take place on December 2, 2017, from 11am – 3pm, at 199 Glen Park.
We hope to see you there!

 

Statistics of the Blackburn Hamlet branch

 

• Circulation = On average of 94,000 items per year.  Over 32,000 lendable items.

• PC Use = On average almost 10,000 sessions per year.

• Programs = On average 4000 attendees per year and over 150 programs per year.