Sep 02, 2022
It’s practically here whether you want it to be or not. Some people love this change of season, and some people would just love summer to go on and on. If you can’t wait to break out your sweaters and look at those fall leaves turning here are some picks to augment your happy journey. If you’re more like me, you may need the bibliotherapy of reading a fantastic book to get you through this distressing time!
This month in eAudio a great book club pick is The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. This novel is so compelling that it begs to be read in a single sitting. It has stunning psychological and emotional depth and sophistication – you’ll be completely occupied and won’t notice summer slipping away.
If you prefer an eBook, why not try The Midnight Bargain by C. L. Polk to get you in a fall state of mind. You’ll either be relishing the spells and sorceresses in anticipation of the upcoming spooky season or you’ll be completely swept up in the sweeping, romantic fantasy to hardly notice the chill in the air.
In French, one great book to get that cozy fall feeling is the biographical novel about a lesser-known Quebec singer – Guylaine Guy. Discover in La princesse du rythme how she deserves to return to the spotlight! The story will take you to Quebec and France, following a passionate life and career.
Another book to convince you that staying in and curling up with a good book is the way to go is month this read by the author audiobook, Nom, that tells the story of Constance Debré’s childhood and parents. Constance shares her radical viewpoints and is sure to stimulate a lively discussion.
Suggestions and Resources for a successful online Book Club
In order to have your Book Club take place online you can try creating Facebook groups, or using various social media channels to discuss books. Or you could try meeting live via online video conferencing tools. The following tools are free:
- Google Hangouts provides free video/chat/voice conferencing and does not have a time limit
- Jitsi is a free open source video conferencing tool
- In French, there is a platform built by Les libraires that allows book clubs to meet online! You can request to create your own club, or there are groups that are already running that you can join.
- All book clubs, including the current book club picks and comments, are visible to anyone accessing the site Le Regroupement des éditeurs franco-canadiens is offering a monthly book club called D’un océan à l’autre – here is more information (in French only), and the books available at OPL!
Finding eBooks and eAudiobooks for your Book Club
- Always Available eAudio from OverDrive – many great Book Club reads in this list
- Books with 100 simultaneous checkouts -- this new format offered by publishers to libraries lets your whole book club borrow a book at once!
- Always Available ebook Classics from Duke Publishing
- OPL streaming eBook and eAudio collections
- Some French publishers OPL purchases from through Cantook Station offer many loans of the same title at once. You can search the Cantook platform for these publishers and make your choice. Participating publishers include Gallimard, Actes Sud, Rivages, POL, Flammarion, and Payot
- Radio-Canada offers free “Always Available” French eAudio - stream from the ICI Première website or download the Radio-Canada OHdio app.
- D'un océan à l'autre | club de lecture 2021
Contact OPLs InfoService 613-580-2940 if you need help accessing these titles and resources
Hosting and Discussions
If you would like discussion questions for your book, here is a list of 40 Great Book Club Discussion Questions from Book Riot. They work for any book.
Here are some great tips about how to host an online book club from Bustle Magazine: 10 Tips For Hosting A Digital Book Club