Oct 16, 2023
We received a notification from Kanopy that Kanopy’s current play credit system will be replaced with a new ticket system on November 1, 2023.
Starting on November 1, 2023, each client will have 12 tickets per month to watch films on Kanopy. Kanopy Kids is not included in the ticket system, and you can access its content without using any tickets
- With this update, Next to the play button, clients will see how many tickets a title will use and how long they will have access to it before pressing play.
- Episodic content will be labeled so clients know they are getting an entire bingeable season for the ticket value.
- Ticket-free content, including titles in Kanopy Kids, will be labeled as 0 tickets.
Should you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding these changes, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We appreciate your understanding during this transition.
For your information, here is how our current Kanopy play credits work:
Ottawa Public Library gives clients 4 credits (Film + Series + Episode =Total 4 plays) to watch each month. The client will receive a new set of play credits on the first of the month.
A film uses a play credit once the client starts it. Many films on Kanopy have a 48 to 72-hour viewing period, and clients can watch the film as many times as they like during the viewing period without using another play credit.
The supplier for each individual series decides how play credits are used when their series is viewed, some series require only one play credit to access an entire season, and other series require a play credit for each episode the client watches.
-Play credit exceptions:
- The Great Courses Series. The Great Courses Series doesn’t use play credits. OPL set a monthly limit on the number of series clients can watch. i.e., Check out 1 series from The Great Courses per month per card with 30 days of access
- Kanopy Kids titles: Kanopy Kids titles don’t require play credits. Clients have unlimited plays for videos in the Kanopy Kids section.