Jun 30, 2023
I know it’s summer and we’re all looking for a little escape in our reading material, the proverbial “beach read” but don’t you crave a little substance… a little juice, even in your summer reads? Ok, maybe not – here are a couple anyway, just in case.
In eAudio this month try Don't You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane. You’ll love this story of Georgina who’s reeling from the indignity of finding her boyfriend in bed with someone else and is now working as a barmaid in a newly opened pub, which just so happens to be run by the boy she fell in love with at school. NPR Book Reviews says that Don't You Forget About Me is a page-turner of a romance about a heroine with a laugh-out-loud voice, and, as the British say, lashings of drama. You won't forget Georgina’s secrets anytime soon. Many copies of this eAudio were purchased so that you and your book club can all download and listen to a copy all at the same time.
In eBook read Chloe Cates Is Missing by Mandy McHugh. This tightly woven, fast-paced missing person thriller has extra layers and introspection into social media stardom, stage mothers and police ethics that will keep you up reading until dawn. Purchased in an Always Available format so that everyone in your book club can borrow this eBook title at once.
For book clubs in French, here are some titles that are sure to inspire great discussions!
Galumpf is a poetic short story collection in eBook that explores many profound themes such as discovering meaning in one’s life and finding balance while living with others. Marie Hélène Poitras’s book was highly recommended in Le Devoir, and she has won numerous literary prizes for previous works, including the prix Anne-Hébert. The author was born in Ottawa and now lives in Montreal.
Gisèle Halimi, who died in 2020, told the fascinating story of her life in Le lait de l’oranger. The author talked about her rebellious youth in Tunisia and studies in Paris which led to her career as a celebrated lawyer who contributed greatly to feminist causes. This audiobook is read by actress Julie Gayet.
Suggestions and Resources for a successful online Book Club
In order to have your Book Club take place online you can try creating Facebook groups, or using various social media channels to discuss books. Or you could try meeting live via online video conferencing tools. The following tools are free:
- Google Hangouts provides free video/chat/voice conferencing and does not have a time limit
- Jitsi is a free open source video conferencing tool
- In French, there is a platform built by Les libraires that allows book clubs to meet online! You can request to create your own club, or there are groups that are already running that you can join.
- All book clubs, including the current book club picks and comments, are visible to anyone accessing the site Le Regroupement des éditeurs franco-canadiens is offering a monthly book club called D’un océan à l’autre – here is more information (in French only), and the books available at OPL!
Finding eBooks and eAudiobooks for your Book Club
- Always Available eAudio from OverDrive – many great Book Club reads in this list
- Books with 100 simultaneous checkouts -- this new format offered by publishers to libraries lets your whole book club borrow a book at once!
- Always Available ebook Classics from Duke Publishing
- OPL streaming eBook and eAudio collections
- Some French publishers OPL purchases from through Cantook Station offer many loans of the same title at once. You can search the Cantook platform for these publishers and make your choice. Participating publishers include Gallimard, Actes Sud, Rivages, POL, Flammarion, and Payot
- Radio-Canada offers free “Always Available” French eAudio - stream from the ICI Première website or download the Radio-Canada OHdio app.
- D'un océan à l'autre | club de lecture 2021
Contact OPLs InfoService 613-580-2940 if you need help accessing these titles and resources
Hosting and Discussions
If you would like discussion questions for your book, here is a list of 40 Great Book Club Discussion Questions from Book Riot. They work for any book.
Here are some great tips about how to host an online book club from Bustle Magazine: 10 Tips For Hosting A Digital Book Club