Mar 31, 2021
The past year has been a pretty wild ride for all of us, and some beginner readers may have had trouble learning to read. No worries! OPL is here for you with a ton of French resources from its Early Readers collection.
Why is reading so important?
- Reading is a top predictor of a child’s academic success.
- Reading improves writing skills.
- Reading helps develop attention and concentration in all children, including those diagnosed with a learning difficulty.
- Reading develops the imagination and the organization of ideas, and builds vocabulary, critical thinking skills and empathy.
IN SHORT – Reading is an essential building block for success.
Early readers French resources available at OPL:
Non-fiction books: Did you know some readers like to read up on topics that interest them, instead of stories?
Books by First Nations authors
Preschool and kindergarten levels
- “Read” pictures from left to right and understand—with a little help from their favourite characters—how stories are organized
- Learn the basics: letters or sounds (on, cr, in, etc.)
- From the Puceron series: Petit Poilu and La vavache
- 26 lettres: 12 copains, 14 copines et une avalanche de mots
- Monsieur Son
- Petit Lapin Blanc collection (Je lis en images)
- Ben entreprend
- Mini rat de bibliothèque
- GB+(Levels 1, 2, 3)
- Alizé (Beginners A to D and Petite brise)
- Nunavummi (Available in French, English and Inuktitut)
- Read and laughwith super weird superheroes, clumsy animals, zombie broccoli and ghosts.
Some books include questions to help you guide your kids in their reading comprehension.
- À pas de loup, Level 1(red)
- À pas de souris (red-green-blue)
- GB+(Levels 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
- Alizé (Vent léger)
- Rat de bibliothèque 1 – red
- Rat de bibliothèque 2 – yellow
- Ratus, Level 1
- Nestor (French and English)
- Emile et Lili
- Super machins
- Les Zigotos
- Pat le chat (French and English)
- Zig Zag (French and English)
- LEGO DC Comics (French and English)
- Mademoiselle Nancy (French and English)
- Le carnet de Julie
- La courte échelle - Première lecture
- Clés de lecture
- Dragon(French and English)
- Licorne et Yeti (French and English)
- Éléphant et Rosie
- Petit Lapin Blanc collection
- Splat le chat collection(French and English)
- Lire et découvrir
- National Geographic Kids, Level 1 (French and English)
- Les échos de l’île de la tortue
- Eaglecrest books (French and English)
- Read very short, illustrated chapters
- Encourage your child to read a “big kid” book.
- Cheval masqué
- À pas de loup, Level 2 (green)
- GB+(Levels 13, 14, 15)
- Alizé (Grand vent, Solo)
- Petit poucet
- Milan benjamin
- Tu lis, je lis
- Histoires de lire collection
- Regarde, je lis! collection
- À pas de souris (Sur un air d’opéra)
- À pas de souris (Drôles de bêtes)
- National Geographic Kids, Level 2 (French and English)
- Read longer, more complex books.
- À pas de loup, Level 3 (blue)
- National Geographic Kids, Level 3 (French and English)
- Reading and Parents Program packs include a book, activities, songs, crafts and an educational guide for parents.
EN FRANÇAIS: Programme de lecture en famille
* Packscreated by Alternative Learning Styles and Outlooks (ALSO) for the Reading and Parents Program (RAPP), in partnership with Moi, j’apprends.