Orleans is 50!

10/11/2017

Come and celebrate the Orléans library’s 50th anniversary on Saturday, November 18th. We’ll have local storytellers, crafts, 3D printing, a Rag & Bone puppet show, B-Radical balloon creations and cake (lots and lots of cake).

Schedule

10:30am 3D printing & crafts for children of all ages (on-going until 4:00pm).
10:30am Michel Farant “Monsieur Michel” Family Storytelling
11:30am Official ceremonies
11:50am Cake and refreshments are served
1:00pm  Rag & Bone Puppet Theatre: The Last Polar Bears
2:00pm  B-Radical balloon creations
4:00pm  End of celebration

 

History of the Orléans library

In 1958, thanks to the enormous efforts of Dolorès and Marcel Bériault, the first library in Orléans opened in the basement of the St-Joseph elementary school. Even as the library evolved in subsequent years, it remained the only library service in the entire township of Gloucester until 1971.

In 1966, the Gloucester Library Board was created to meet the growing needs of the area’s citizens and on November 17th, 1967, the Orleans library officially opened in the Jean Gauthier building. The library was re-named the Bériault branch in 1978 to honour the tireless efforts of Mr. and Mrs. Bériault.

In January 1982, the Bériault branch was relocated in the Orléans Recreation complex (known as Bob McQuarrie complex) at 1490 Youville drive. At the end of that year, there were 131,000 items in the collection, and the branch circulation was 503,000. The library was then moved to its current location at 1705 Orléans Blvd in 1995 and became part of the Ottawa Public Library in 2001 when the cities amalgamated.

 

Orleans library statistics

• Circulation on average of 322,000 Items per year. Over 90,000 lendable items.
• PC Use = On average 19,674 sessions per year.
• Programs = On average 10,000 attendees per year and over 400 programs per year.