Do you like scary stories or poems? Do you draw the best ghosts? Do you want to leave readers sleeping with the lights on?
Submit your work to the Spooky Short Story, Poem and Art Contest!
Presented by Ruth E. Dickinson's Teen Advisory Group, for ages 9-19.
Here are the full rules:
- Prizes will be awarded in the following age groups:
- 9-12 years old
- 13-15 years old
- 16-19 years old
- Entries can be submitted in English or French.
- Stories should be a maximum of 1000 words.
- Poems should be no longer than one page.
- Digital art and photography are accepted.
- Each person can submit one story, one poem, and one piece of art. They may also participate in one collaboration in each category.
- Avoid including offensive or overly graphic scenes. The best stories scare without them!
- The work can be an original idea or a retelling or revisioning of a story you’ve heard. Previously published work and plagiarism will not be accepted.
- Stories must be submitted by Thursday, October 13th at the stroke of MIDNIGHT!
- Submit your story in person at Ruth E. Dickinson Branch or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not put your name on your submission. Include your name, age, phone number, email address, your school, and the title of your piece in your email or on a separate title page.
- Please, no Google Drive submissions!
- Winners will be announced during the Haunted Readings event, October 27th from 6:00-7:30!
Let your imagination run free. Create a world of skin-crawling, fright-inducing fun!