Your Library card
You can get an Ottawa Public Library card if you qualify for one or more of the following :
- You live in Ottawa
- Pay property tax to the City of Ottawa
- Have a SmartLibrary membership
You can register at any Library branch for a free Library card.
- You will need to bring photo identification and proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.
- Children aged 15 or under need the signature of a parent to get a card.
When you get a Library card, you are agreeing to:
- Follow the rules and regulations of the OPL.
- Care for all of the materials you borrow.
- Pay outstanding fines or fees.
- Pay for all lost or damaged materials.
- Tell us if your card is lost or stolen because the cardholder is responsible for any use of this card.
- Tell us if your name, address or phone number changes.
Do you live outside of Ottawa?
A person living outside of Ottawa can get a non-resident card for an annual fee of $50 ($100 for a family membership).
- Register for a visitor’s membership valid for a maximum of three months at a cost of $5 a month.
- Bring identification with your permanent address or photo identification and proof of your temporary Ottawa address to get your card.
- You may borrow three items at any one time from our circulating collections and also get access to the Internet.
Your online account
To access your online account, simply login with your Library card number or username and PIN. If its your first time logging in you'll need to complete a short registration form where you'll choose an easy to remember username.
Updating your account
To change your personal information:
- Access the Settings area of the catalogue and login to your account.
- You can change your username, update your email address and phone number, change your branch and create a new PIN.
- If you need to update your address, call or visit your local Library branch. Staff will be happy to do that for you.
Check the status of your account:
- Visit the My OPL section of the catalogue to see your items checked out, holds, fines and recently returned.
Forgot your PIN?
Use this link to reset: https://ottawa.bibliocommons.com/user/forgot
You can renew Library materials in these three ways:
- By using our online catalogue. Access your account to renew items, see what’s out on your card or monitor your requests by clicking on My Borrowing.
- By touch-tone phone at 613-580-2535 (TeleCIRC).
- In person at any branch.
Library materials can be renewed except in the following circumstances:
- There is a request on the item.
- The maximum renewal limit on the item has been reached.
- (These limits include three times for books, one for audio-visual materials and one for Express Collection.)
- There is an outstanding balance on your account of $50 or more.
- Your Library card has expired.
Loan periods, fees and fines
- Not all Library material has the same loan period.
- Material returned past the due date is considered overdue and incurs a fine.
- A fine is automatically added to the customer's account.
- Fees are different than fines.
- View the complete list of loan periods, fees and fines.