You can get an Ottawa Public Library card if one of the following applies to you:
- You live in Ottawa
- Pay property tax to the City of Ottawa
- Have a SmartLibrary membership
- Are employed by the City of Ottawa
You can register at any Library branch for a free Library card.
- You will need to bring photo identification and proof of address, such as a utility bill or bank statement
- Children aged 15 or under need the signature of a parent/guardian to get a card
When you get a Library card, you are agreeing to:
- Take individual responsibility for all activity on your card (and any other card for which you have official guardianship)
- Follow OPL’s customer code of conduct
- Care for the materials you borrow
- Pay outstanding fines or fees
- Pay for all lost or damaged materials
- Tell us if your card is lost or stolen (the cardholder is responsible for any use of this card)
- Tell us if your name, address or phone number changes
Renewing your card
Library cards must be renewed once a year. Your card will be automatically renewed annually if you meet the following criteria:
- You do not have fees and fines above $1.00 associated with your account
- You are 18 years of age or older
- You are a resident of Ottawa
- Your card has been active within the last 364 days
You will receive notification if your card is not automatically renewed.
Do you live outside of Ottawa?
A person living outside of Ottawa can get a non-resident card for an annual fee of $50 ($100 for a family membership).
- Register for a visitor’s membership valid for a maximum of three months at a cost of $5 a month.
- Bring identification with your permanent address or photo identification and proof of your temporary Ottawa address to get your card.
- With a visitor’s membership, you will have access to our online resources, public computers, and you may borrow three items at any one time from our circulating collections.
Only need access to the Internet?
- Visitors can get access to free WiFi and our public computers by using an Internet card.
- Register for the Internet card at the service hub. There is no charge for this service.
Your online account
To access your online account, simply login with your Library card number or username and PIN. If it is your first time logging in you'll need to complete a short registration form where you'll choose an easy to remember username.
Updating your account
To change your personal information:
- Access the Settings area of the catalogue and login to your account.
- You can change your username, update your email address and phone number, change your branch and create a new PIN.
- If you need to update your address, call or visit any branch.
Check the status of your account:
- Visit the My OPL section of the catalogue to see your items checked out, holds, fines and recently returned.
Forgot your PIN? You can reset it online.
You can renew library materials in several ways:
- By using our online catalogue. Access your account to renew items, see what’s out on your card or monitor your requests by clicking on My Borrowing
- By calling InfoService at 613-580-2940
- By touch-tone phone at 613-580-2535 (TeleCIRC)
- In person at any branch
Library materials can be renewed except in the following circumstances:
- There is a request on the item
- The item belongs to a special collection such as Express DVDs or Express Museum Passes
- The maximum renewal limit on the item has been reached
- There is an outstanding balance on your account of $50 or more
- Your library card has expired – library cards must be renewed once a year
Loan periods, fees and fines
- Not all library material has the same loan period
- Material returned past the due date is considered overdue and incurs a fine
- A fine is automatically added to the customer's account
- View the complete list of loan periods, fees and fines