Halifax, Calgary…now it’s our turn to build a new central library! The future of public libraries is bright and exciting, and we could not be happier to be working with a dedicated national partner, Library and Archives Canada, to build a unique destination where public library customers, Ottawa residents, researchers, and visitors from all over will come to learn, explore, discover, create and gather, for generations to come.
About the OPL-LAC Joint Facility
In 2015, the Ottawa Public Library Board approved the building of a new Central Library as a key strategic priority for the OPL. The vision is to develop an inclusive, dynamic Central library that would enable creation and learning.
An innovative partnership opportunity with Library and Archives Canada was explored in 2016 and formalized in early 2017. Since then, OPL and LAC have been working together to plan for a dynamic and world-class joint facility that will serve as a city-wide resource, a community gathering space, and a national institution.
Set to officially open in late 2024, the OPL-LAC Joint Facility will become a landmark destination built on the shared values of the partner institutions.
- The joint facility will be a modern, iconic building that will respond to rapidly developing technology, growing customer expectations and changing demographics
- This collaboration will create a unique civic and national flagship facility
- It will provide a richer customer experience based on the shared values of intellectual freedom and access to information
- The result will be a more meaningful – and larger - community destination
- This partnership is unprecedented in Canada
Design and public engagement
In December 2018, the consortium of award-winning Canadian architect firm Diamond Schmitt Architects with Ottawa’s KWC Architects, were awarded the contract to design the future OPL-LAC joint facility, after a rigorous procurement process.
The Inspire555 series, a year-long local and national engagement process to inspire the design of this future iconic building, was launched shortly after, in February 2019. The Inspire555 engagement series includes design workshops, pop-up events, and online engagement activities to inspire this new landmark destination.
Have questions about the OPL-LAC Joint Facility? Email the project team at CentralLibrary@ottawa.ca.