Welcome to the Ottawa Public Library (OPL). Our goal is to ensure that everyone has a positive experience when using the Library and its services.
The Customer Code of Conduct encourages behaviour that supports the Library’s mission. It applies everywhere the Library conducts its business, whether on Library property, in the community, over the phone or email, or through our website.
Everyone has the right to enjoy the services of the Library without disturbance. Our commitment is to deliver excellent service in a space that is welcoming and safe for our customers and our employees. We ask your cooperation in maintaining this environment.
Please remember to…
Be respectful of others.
- Speak and work at a soft volume.
- Set your mobile device to vibrate or mute.
- Leave privacy screens on the Library computers at all times.
- Follow the Public Network Access Policy while using the Internet.
- Refrain from foul, abusive, or discriminatory language or actions. They will not be tolerated.
- Respect the sensibilities of others when viewing materials in the Library.
- Bring in only registered guide or service animals.
- Obtain permission from the Library to distribute literature or post materials on Library property. Solicitation is not permitted in the Library.
- Get permission of people in photos or videos you are taking. Parents or guardians must provide permission for children. Photos and videos cannot be taken in washrooms or in children’s areas (unless permitted by the parent or guardian).
- Respect others with sensitivities to scents, and limit the use of scented products.
- Wear proper clothing and footwear.
- Pay attention to personal hygiene.
- Report disruptive behaviour to a Library employee.
- Do not sleep in the Library.
Be respectful of Library property.
- Use the Library’s materials, computers, equipment, and furniture with care.
- Check with Library employees if there are restrictions on what and where you can eat.
- Throw out or recycle your garbage.
- Keep aisles, corridors, and spaces around you clear so that others can easily access them.
- Park bicycles, scooters, and small recreational motorized vehicles outside the Library. Small items such as skateboards or roller blades may be brought in but may not be used inside the Library or near the entrance.
- Supervise children and adults in your care at all times.
- Allow inspection of personal bags or cases when requested by OPL employees or security staff.
- Keep your belongings with you as the Library is not responsible for lost items.
- Leave the building in case of fire, fire drills, or other emergencies.
- Follow all municipal, provincial and federal laws, codes, rules, and regulations.
- Follow the instructions of Library employees or security staff.
We ask that you respect the Customer Code of Conduct and follow all Library policies. Employees make every effort to apply these policies in a fair, dignified, and positive manner for the benefit of everyone. Anyone choosing to disrespect the policies of the Library and refusing to modify behaviour will be asked to leave. This could result in suspension of Library privileges, eviction from the Library, cost-recovery charges, and/or prosecution.
Approved by the Ottawa Public Library Board on January 12, 2016.