As of January 1, 2021, OPL will no longer be charging late fees for items that are overdue or processing fees for lost items.
When you get a Library card, you are agreeing to:
- Follow the rules and regulations of the OPL.
- Care for all of the materials you borrow.
- Pay for all lost or damaged materials.
- Tell us if your card is lost or stolen because the cardholder is responsible for any use of this card.
- Tell us if your name, address or phone number changes.
You can renew your library card by visiting any library branch. You will need to show your library card and pay any outstanding charges on your account before it can be renewed.
If your Library account is in good standing at the time of renewal (you owe less than $1 in fees), and you have used your card at one of 33 branches in the last 12 months, your card will be automatically renewed in our system, and you will not need to visit a branch.
All eligible library items renew automatically prior to the due date.
If you wish, you can also renew Library materials manually in these ways:
- By using our online catalogue. Access your account to renew items, see what’s out on your card or monitor your requests by clicking on My Borrowing.
- By touch-tone phone at 613-580-2535 (TeleCIRC).
- In person at any branch.
- Calling our central line at 613-580-2940
Library materials can be renewed except in the following circumstances:
- There is a request on the item.
- The maximum renewal limit on the item has been reached
- There is an outstanding balance on your account of $25 or more.
- Your Library card has expired.
To change your personal information:
- Access the Settings area of the catalogue and login to your account.
- You can change your username, update your email address, change your branch and create a new PIN.
- If you need to update your postal address or telephone number, visit your local Library branch with proof of your new address.
You can go to one of our 33 branches and ask branch staff for help or call Infoservice at 613-580-2940.
To access your online account, simply login with your Library card number or username and PIN. If it's your first-time logging in, you'll need to complete a short registration form where you'll choose an easy to remember username.
For a list of what you have access to with a library card, consult this webpage: https://biblioottawalibrary.ca/en/fees-and-loans
Note that some cards provide different limits for specific items. Please ask staff in our 33 branches or call Infoservice at 613-580-2940.
Yes, the fee structure is reviewed each year as part of the budget process.
For customers’ convenience, eligible library items will be renewed automatically, when there are no holds on the items. You can also renew your items manually online prior to the due date. The automatic renewal feature cannot be turned off.
Items that previously had no renewal limits will now have a limit of five renewals. Other renewal limits remain unchanged. Please note that an item can only be renewed if there are no holds on the item. For customers’ convenience, eligible library items will be renewed automatically, when there are no holds on the items. You can also renew your items manually online prior to the due date. The automatic renewal feature cannot be turned off.