On September 1, 2015, the Ottawa Public Library implemented a Fraud Policy, which included the establishment of a Fraud Hotline, as part of its commitment to corporate accountability, transparency, responsibility, and sound and ethical operating practices.
The Fraud Hotline is a confidential and anonymous service operated by a third party that allows OPL employees and members of the public to report suspected or witnessed cases of fraud 24 hours a day, seven days a week by phone or online.
Activities that should be reported include, but are not limited to:
- Misappropriation of funds (theft)
- Irregularities in the handling of money
- Seeking or accepting anything of material value
- Misuse of OPL property, equipment, materials, records or time
- Unauthorized use of OPL property
- Inappropriate manipulation or destruction of data
- Misuse of OPL-owned hardware and software
- Fraudulent claims of reimbursement of expenses
- Fraud or waste or other inappropriate activities in violation of the OPL Employee Code of Conduct, Responsible Computing Policy, and the Responsible Use of the Internet Policy
- You are not required to provide your name or any other personal information when submitting a report of suspected fraud or waste.
Each reported case is reviewed by the Auditor General and assigned a tracking number and a password, so you can follow its progress and see what action has been taken.
If you wish to report an incident of suspected fraud, you can contact the Fraud Hotline at ottawa.fraudwaste-fraudeabus.ca or 1-866-959-9309.