What you will need
- A valid Ottawa Public Library (OPL) card
- A fast Internet connection (minimum 1Mbps for streaming videos)
- If you’re using a mobile device, you will need the Hoopla Digital app for iOS (7.1 or later), or Android (4.4 and up)
Creating an account
- Go to www.HooplaDigital.com.
- Click on Get Started Today.
- Enter your email, create a password and click on Next.
- Choose Ottawa Public Library (ON) from the menu and select Next.
- Enter your OPL card number and PIN. Click on the box that you agree to allow Hoopla Digital to exchange registration information with OPL and select Next.
- Once your account is created, you can start borrowing and downloading videos and music.
What kind of content does Hoopla Digital have?
- It has wide collection of movies and television shows including feature films, documentaries, foreign films, television shows and educational programs.
- Over 100,000 music albums and growing.
Borrowing and streaming
- You are allotted four (4) checkouts per month per card.
- Titles are always available.
- Unused checkouts are not carried over to the next month.
- Your usage is reset on the last day of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Loan periods are 72 hours for video, and seven (7) days for music. During the loan period content can be streamed repeatedly.
- Content can be either downloaded or streamed through the Hoopla Digital app but only streamed through a PC or laptop.
- Titles do not need to be returned. They will automatically disappear once the borrowing period has ended.
- Borrowed content can be accessed on multiple devices, but can only be played on one (1) device at a time.
- The data used to stream Hoopla from the Internet at home or from your mobile device will count towards your Internet service provider’s monthly bandwidth cap. Watching a regular-length movie uses about 1GB of data for each stream of standard definition video. Streaming an album uses about 35 MB of data.
What if I have other questions?
- Consult Hoopla Digital’s Help page