The Ottawa Public Library welcomes submissions by authors outside of Ottawa for inclusion in the library’s collection, when that material:
- Fits the scope of the Library’s collection, and
- Meets our Materials Selection Criteria.
To donate a work for inclusion in the Ottawa Public Library’s collection, please read the guidelines below.
- Eligible books are those published in the last 2 years.
- To be added to the library your book will meet the Material Selection Criteria.
- Books not accepted will be sent to the Friends of the OPL Association (FOPLA) for resale.
- Only bound books are accepted (no spiral or manuscript form).
- Please include reviews if available.
- We receive a large volume of queries and submissions and ask for your patience. Accepted titles will be listed in our catalogue within 4 months.
- We monitor our collection closely; should there be demand for additional copies of your book, we will purchase them through our regular vendors.
We obtain eBooks through third party vendors.
Smashwords is an eBook publisher that makes your eBook available on the OverDrive platform, and available for us to select.
If your book is available on Smashwords, please indicate that on the Non-local Author application that must be completed and sent with all local author inclusion requests.
Material may be mailed directly to Content Services at the following address:
Ottawa Public Library
100 Tallwood Dr.
Att.: Collection Development