To submit a work of Nonfiction for inclusion in the Ottawa Public Library’s collection, please read the guidelines below and attach a completed application with your book.
- A “local author” is a City of Ottawa resident.
- Eligible books are published in the last 2 years.
- Books are donations to the Ottawa Public Library branch of your choice, as specified in your application.
- To be added to the library your book will meet the Material Selection Criteria.
- Only bound books are accepted (no manuscripts).
- Please include reviews if available.
- We receive a large volume of queries and submissions and ask for your patience.
- If accepted, your book will appear in the library catalogue within 4-8 weeks.
- Books not accepted will be sent to the Friends of the OPL Association (FOPLA) for resale.
- We monitor our collection closely; should there be demand we will place an order for more copies of your book.
We obtain eBooks through third party vendors.
Smashwords is an eBook publisher that makes your eBook available on the OverDrive platform, and available for us to select.
If your book is available on Smashwords, please indicate that on the Local Author application that must be completed and sent with all local author inclusion requests.<!-- <p>Submission application form (PDF) -->
Book Programming at the Ottawa Public Library
For information, please see program proposals.
If your book is accepted into the collection, your branch of choice will be notified.