The Ottawa Public Library (OPL) distributes and posts pamphlets, flyers, newspapers, posters and other free material in accordance with the Library’s mission statement and the Canadian Library Association’s Statement on Intellectual Freedom. We will do our best to meet your needs but branch space and staff time for this free service is limited.
Material that is ACCEPTABLE for OPL posting
- Items of general community interest in the areas of literacy, education, recreation, arts and culture
- Community events, including fundraising events for non-profit organizations
- Community special interest bulk publications
- Material written in English, French or in both official languages
Material that is NOT ACCEPTABLE for OPL posting
- Partisan or political material for individual political parties or candidates
- Advertisements, private notices or solicitations for business
- Materials relating to events/activities taking place outside the City of Ottawa
- Posters and materials larger than 8.5x11 inches
- Material violating the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Material omitting essential information such as date, time, place or fee
- Material that promotes a specific faith
- OPL is a bilingual institution and will give priority to bilingual material, particularly if it is intended for branches that serve a large bilingual population.
- Priority is given to material produced by OPL, Friends of OPL Association, City of Ottawa and items that are relevant to Library customers.
- Priority is given to events and programs that are free.
- Size must be a maximum of 8.5 x 11 inches (horizontal or vertical orientation)
- Provide one poster per branch
- If the poster is double sided, allow two posters per branch
Material must be
- pre-bundled according to the quantity chart (below)
- each bundle must be firmly labelled with a branch location
- Request approval for material. Send a copy of the material to be distributed for approval electronically to Communications@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca
- Prepare materials. Bundle and label materials as indicated quantity chart (below)
- Print off the Material Distribution Form. Fill it out and drop it off with your material AT LEAST two weeks in advance of when it should be posted
- Print off the approval e-mail. Drop it off with your material.
- Drop off or Mail your material:
- Drop off:
- Mail your material:
- Library Materials Delivery Centre James Bartleman Archives and Library Materials Centre 100 Tallwood Dr., Nepean, ON K2G 4R7 (map)
- While OPL may distribute or post material, this does not imply that OPL endorses its content.
- Materials distributed centrally for posting must be approved by the Communications team by sending an electronic copy of the item to Communications@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca
- Materials distributed centrally does not guarantee that material will be posted in branches. Branches decide what to post based on local interest and space.
- Two weeks must be allowed for the material to get to the branches.
- For the distribution of institutional booklets (CRA’s tax preparation guide, Take it Back! Buy Local, School board course listings), please contact Communications@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca to discuss possible increase of copies per branch.
- Material that is dropped off without the following will be recycled:
Please bundle and label bookmarks, brochures, flyers as per the required number of items per branch.
|Branch||Handout Quantity||Poster Quantity|
|Main / Centrale||20||1|
|North Gloucester Nord||10||1|
|Ruth E. Dickinson||10||1|
For more info, email communications@BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca.