You are here

  • Contactless Returns and Holds Pickup Service at OPL

    07/07/2020

    OPL is offering contactless returns and holds pickup service at select branches, during new hours of operation. Find the details of this new service and branch opening dates here.

    • RETURNS will be accepted only during hours of operation, no appointment necessary. Due dates for currently checked out materials have been extended and late fees suspended.
    • HOLDS PICKUPS are by appointment only. Make an appointment here.

    In accordance with Ottawa Public Health directive, please wear a mask when entering a branch.

    For information about Library cards, virtual programs, and more, contact  InfoService by phone or email.

A bit of history

The library was founded in 1906 with a donation from the Carnegie Foundation. The history of OPL between 1906-2001 is available in The Library Book by Phil Jenkins.

Amalgamation

On January 1, 2001, the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton was amalgamated as the City of Ottawa. The 25 branches within these outlying Library systems merged with OPL’s eight branches to become one united Ottawa Public Library.

  • Cumberland Township Library
  • Gloucester Public Library
  • Goulbourn Township Library
  • Kanata Public Library
  • Nepean Library
  • Ottawa Public Library
  • Rideau Township Library
  • Rockcliffe Park Public Library
  • Vanier Public Library
  • West Carleton Township Library

Who’s been at the helm

  • 2012 - present: Danielle McDonald, CEO
  • 2012 (acting, January to March): Elaine Condos, City Librarian
  • 1995 - 2011: Barbara Clubb, City Librarian
  • 1979 - 1995: Gilles Frappier, Chief Librarian
  • 1953 - 1979: Claude Aubry, Chief Librarian
  • 1936 - 1953: Frederick Jennings, Chief Librarian
  • 1912 - 1936: William Sykes, City Librarian
  • 1905 - 1912: Lawrence Burpee, Chief Librarian

OPL logos

2001-present
2006
1971-2000
OPL logo OPL logo OPL logo