- Clients must have a valid library card in order to use the public network. 'Internet Access Only' cards are available for non-members.
- Clients are required to adhere to OPL's Public Network Access Policy and understand that misuse of library resources, including the use of someone else's card and/or behaviour that disrupts others, may result in a suspension of library privileges.
- Clients should be aware that the use of the network for illegal purposes is prohibited and may result in prosecution.
- Adult cards will provide unfiltered access to the Internet with an option for a filtered session on public workstations.
- Juvenile cards (for children up to and including the age of 16) will provide filtered access only, unless a parent or guardian requests otherwise. Filtering technology is imperfect, however, and parents and legal guardians are responsible for their children's use of the Internet.
- OPL reserves the right to make changes to network configuration based upon operational requirements.
- OPL reserves the right to impose bandwidth restrictions as required without notice.
- Clients may use public computers for up to 2 hours per day across the OPL system.
- Additional time per day can be added to client accounts by employees on an ad hoc basis, pending availability.
- Bookings can be made 7 days in advance.
- Workstations not in use can be booked, provided that:
- No other client has reserved the workstation
- The client has unused time remaining
- There is at least 10 minutes until the next booking
- Clients will be automatically logged off the workstation when the session expires. All material saved to D:\My Documents will be deleted.
- Non-OPL devices (e.g. laptops, smartphones) shall not be connected to the physical network under any circumstances.
- OPL employees may only provide limited assistance to clients accessing the wireless network. If assistance is required beyond what is given in the OPL's general instructions, clients should contact either the company that sold the equipment, or the manufacturer of the hardware or software.
- OPL will not guarantee access to electrical outlets, and suggest that clients bring a fully charged battery. Clients may not plug their device(s) into any outlet that has been provided for the OPL's own workstations or other equipment.
- The wireless network is not secure, and traffic on the network is unencrypted. Data sent to and from client devices could be captured by someone else. The OPL recommends that credit card and banking data, passwords, and other sensitive information NOT be transmitted while using the wireless network.
- It is the responsibility of clients to protect their devices against any potential abuse, such as viruses, malware, or breach of privacy. The OPL assumes no responsibility or liability for any direct or indirect damages resulting from the use of its wireless network.
- In order to protect its network and clients, the OPL reserves the right to terminate a connection at any time, or to withdraw access entirely.
- Clients will be logged out of the wireless network after 10 minutes of inactivity.
- Printers are not currently available on our wireless network. Clients requiring printing support are asked to save their file(s) to an external storage device (e.g. USB stick) or in the cloud and then print from one of the library's public internet workstations.