In addition to having a great idea, you need a target market who is interested in buying your product or service. Are there enough people in your target market to support your business? Are there other businesses in your area already doing the same thing?
- Guide to Market Research, Ottawa prepared by Business Librarians at Ottawa Public Library This guide outlines the resources and techniques available for conducting both primary and secondary research.
- Market Research –Secondary This topic guide includes books you can borrow from Ottawa Public Library plus online resources for research.
- Competitive Intelligence SME Direct: A pdf Guide to Competitive Intelligence. The information in this guide from the former Industry Canada, now Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada, remains very useful for understand competitive intelligence.
- Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada’s access page for research and statistics.
- U.S. Export.gov Federation of International Trade Associations (FITA)’s country profiles and reports, and international business directories.