To build community and transform lives.
We inspire learning, spark curiosity, and connect people.
We are an active part of our community, reaching beyond our spaces to build relationships that enrich Ottawa.
We are welcoming and open to all, and are committed to providing access to spaces, collections, programs, resources, and expertise.
We embody the principles of public stewardship, transparency, and accountability in our operations and interactions.
We defend the free and open exchange of lawful information and ideas in a democratic society, respecting individual’s rights to privacy and choice.
We cultivate the joys of reading, learning, discovering, and creating.
By 2023, we will increase the number of active card holders by 25% by improving OPL's community relevance.
Strategic Directions and Priorities
Redesign the Library Experience
- Develop programming strategy
- Define the ideal experience across physical and virtual channels
- Create the destination experience for the Ottawa Central Library
- Assess the impacts of barriers to service
- Develop the physical space experience
Build Organizational Capacity
- Redesign the employee experience
- Renew leadership accountability
- Develop data-driven decision-making
Promote the Value of OPL
- Develop and implement a brand strategy
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan
- Strengthen stakeholder relationships and advocacy
- Strengthen the Intellectual Freedom program