Volunteering requires enthusiasm, commitment and a desire to help others.
- You must be at least 14 years old to be a volunteer
- You must submit an application. This can be done online through Volunteer2. If you do not have internet access, you may get a copy of the form at your local library branch. Remember that an application is not a guarantee of a placement.
- Volunteer screening includes an interview and reference checks
- Some volunteer placements may require a Police Records Check
- Volunteering at the Library counts toward the Ontario Ministry of Education requirement of community involvement for high school graduation
For more information, contact: libraryvolunteers [at] BiblioOttawaLibrary.ca
Volunteer opportunities are also available from the City of Ottawa.
Volunteer tasks for teens
Teens can complete 40 hours of the Ontario Ministry of Education requirement for community involvement at the Library in a variety of ways. Teens who wish to volunteer must have parent/guardian permission, and must complete an application in paper or through Volunteer2.
- Joining a Teen Advisory Group (ages 14 to 18). Examples of projects and responsibilities of TAGs can be found here
- Helping Children’s staff with programs
- Preparing craft materials and program supplies
- Designing and maintaining displays
- Helping during children’s activities
- Helping to prepare for upcoming Teen programs
- Teen Author Fest (annually in the Fall)
- Helping with programs for seniors
- Assisting in Wii gaming programs
- Being a monitor during computer classes
- Preparing kits for outreach events
- Every Kid a Card campaign, 1-2-3 Read with me, Summer Reading Club, and / or Share the Words program
- Encouraging children who are reluctant readers to develop the self-confidence and the motivation to read for pleasure
- This program matches a volunteer teen who is an avid reader with a younger reluctant reader on a one-to-one basis
- Summer Volunteer Program for Teens
- Assist with a variety of projects during July and August
- Special Events
- Shelf Maintenance
- Putting materials in order
- Sorting materials