Zoom is cloud-based video conferencing service that OPL uses to offer live online programs. Zoom allows video, voice, and screen sharing, as well as chat messages. It can be accessed on computers, laptops, mobile devices and by telephone.
If you will be using a mobile device (phone or tablet), please install the Zoom Meetings app. This is a free app for you and does not require you to create an account.
If you will be using a computer, you can either install the Zoom program or view the program in your web browser.
The downloads are available on the Zoom website.
Zoom has event types: meetings, where all participants who use their camera are seen by everyone on the call, and webinars, where only the panelists and organizers are able to use their cameras. The library uses both of these event types
Zoom meetings are an open forum – please be aware that all participants (not just the OPL presenter) can see you, and into your home, if you choose to have your camera turned on. Simply turn off your camera if you do not want to be visible to others.
The program organizer will tell you at the start of the program if people in the program are able to see each other.
Yes, they can. Please note that your screen name is visible to everyone. Concerned about privacy? We suggest you change your screen name to something anonymous or use only your first name.
Sometimes the link to the program will be in the program listing. If it isn’t, it means you need to register for the program so we can send you the link in an email. Registrants will receive the link by email at least 1 hour before the program start time. The email will either come from the library or from Eventbrite, depending on the event.
If the program is about to start and you still haven’t received the link, please follow these steps in order:
- Verify the program date and time; links are sent at least 1 hour before the start time.
- Check that you are registered for the program.
- Look in your junk mail folder for an email with the link.
- Make sure you are looking at the email account that was used for the program registration.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org,including in the email your library barcode number, your name (or your child’s name, if their card was used to register for the program), and the name of the program.