Mardi 18 août 2020
L'été dernier a été très différent de ceux que nous avons vus auparavant. Avec la pandémie, les changements dans la scolarité et le travail, l'isolement et social, nous avons tous appris à naviguer dans cette nouvelle normal. L'une de nos méthodes de relaxation préférées (encore plus que d'habitude !) est de se perdre dans un bon livre. La capacité de voyager à l'intérieur de soi, d'apprendre de nouvelles choses et de s'échapper dans un autre monde a été particulièrement incroyable (et tout cela depuis la sécurité de nos maisons !)
Nous aimerions partager avec notre communauté une partie de ce que nous avons vraiment apprécié au cours de ces derniers mois. Il y a eu tant des livres formidables qui nous tiennent éveillés toute la nuit, essayant désespérément de comprendre le rebondissement, et des histoires de famille qui nous font rire (et pleurer) en même temps.
Avez-vous lu l'une d'entre elles ? Y a-t-il quelque chose que vous avez lu et que vous aimeriez partager ? Faites-le nous savoir !
#quarantine reads #fiction #non-fiction #hoopla #audiobooks #music #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook #we recommend #fall reading
- Poppy has her secrets (don't we all?!) and when her new handsome beau Drew (who also rescued her from a precarious situation) suggests only one rule for their rel'ship (don't talk about the past) she happily agrees. But what secrets is he hiding? A roller coaster of a story, that will have the reader guessing what secrets both Poppy and Drew are keeping from each other, and the costs of lying by omission.....
- When Sam hears about a shaman who can "fix everything wrong with you in three days" he is intrigued. Can all that ails him really be fixed in that time, and do what therapy couldn't? An authentic portrayal of addiction, and relationships, that is captivating, and will keep the reader engrossed to see if Sam gets his happy ending...or not.
- Claire has been planning to leave her husband for a while, but he has deep pockets, and reach, and she is terrified. When an opportunity arises an the airport to switch places with a mysterious stranger Eva, it is one she can't refuse. But when Eva's plane goes down, matters become more complicated... Just what secrets is Eva hiding? And can Claire stay hidden in Eva's life and keep up this charade? A fast paced thriller that will keep you reading all night..... and it is worth all the missed sleep!
- By Moriarty, Liane(Downloadable Audiobook - 2014)Small kids, small problems? A bully incident happened in a kindergarten orientation in a beautiful Australian coastal town, it unfolds a complex story of couple's relationship, parenting, domestic violence and female friendship, and I found it particular relevant in this pandemic time. A fun book to listen though, many quips on parenting and schooling, it took me a little while to figure out why the pleasantry among parents on new school start day is something like "how's your new year?". Great narrator, love her voicing the story! I highly recommended to watch its HBO series first, for a better chance to appreciate both the book and the show, not the opposite.
- John Grisham wrote this daunting story based on a story he heard long ago from his days as elected intuition official, in Deep South. It gives me a glimpse how White and Black got along merely 60 years ago. Great narrator, that smooth Southern accent!
- The Science of Making Positive Changes That StickBy Wood, Wendy(Downloadable Audiobook - 2019)Just like the author wished, I took away her tip for establishing a good habit: friction free, which means not to depend on your will power but to create an environment with less distraction to your goal, do it, repeat it until it becomes part of you.
- By Rovelli, Carlo(Downloadable Audiobook - 2016)A great introduction to various topics in physics without background in this field, the author explains scientific subjects in a passionate and poetic manner, sharing his insight on humanity, time and space
- I like reading her books, she is a good storyteller. She tells story of families, their connection to the society that they live in. In this one, she starts with a picture-perfect family; how one tragedy could shatter that picture, and how they can survive and move on as an individual. Also, not loose the feeling of family…you may not be together, but you could always love and respect each other.
Wild West Fall Picks Children's Edition: What We’re Reading, Listening to & Watchingpar charmaine_library
#quarantine reads #fiction #non-fiction #hoopla #audiobooks #music #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook #we recommend #children's
- A story with beautiful illustrations about a lovable dog named Fred and his curious spirit! Complete with repeating verses for children to say along with you "I sit, I stay, I don't run away.." this is a engaging story for all family members to enjoy.
- Ryan tries really hard to see the best in people (even her brother) but sometimes she feels that her parents don't quite understand her but she always finds her way, with sunshine! This series has been compared to Ramona Quimby, featuring a black girl and her family.
- The first book in a series of children's books about a father and his two children who welcome Sarah into their lives. Through patience and tenderness, Sarah becomes an integral part of their lives. This book was made into a Hallmark movie.
- A Story About Showing You CareBy Smith, Bryan(Book - 2018)great book for children to teach about empathy and kindness with examples that they can relate to. The author writes a series of books about life skills such as self-acceptance and sportsmanship.
- Bernice Buttman is by no means a model citizen, but she tries. She ends up living with her aunt and several quirky nuns in an abbey. One of the characters speaks only in children's book quotes, which makes for a fun “what book was that?” activity.
Les selections d'automne du Wild West : Ce que nous avons lu, écoutons et regardonspar charmaine_library
#nous recommendons #les lectures #les documentaires #Hazeldean #Beaverbrook