Week 14, November 16 - 22, 2020
Live Author Visits:
- Monday, November 16 at 7:30 pm: Masterclass: Connecting Plot and Character with Kenneth Oppel
Kenneth Oppel sits down with Ottawa teacher Curtis Perry for a conversation on connecting plot and character using his critically acclaimed new Bloom Trilogy for inspiration.
- Thursday, November 19 at 7:00 pm: One Page: Deacon King Kong with James McBride and Omar El Akkad
His first novel since the National Book award-winning The Good Lord Bird, James McBride applies his commanding prose and his infallible faith in humanity to his newest novel Deacon King Kong.
- Tuesday, November 17 at 12:00 pm: Yes, It's Systemic: Featuring Eternity Martis and Tessa McWatt
This episode of the podcast takes a hard look at racial belonging in contemporary Canada. For too long the conversation on race in Canada has been framed by issues south of the border. Here, we examine our own culture and some of the ongoing barriers to equity and inclusion.
- Friday, November 20 at 12:00 pm: Writing for Young Readers - Featuring Kenneth Oppel and Deborah Ellis
This episode of the podcast celebrates two of Canada’s most acclaimed writers for young readers. Governor General’s Award winner Kenneth Oppel takes questions from Ottawa students about his latest, Hatch, book two of the Bloom Trilogy. Governor General's Award winner Deborah Ellis discusses her new novel, The Greats , with Alan Cumyn, winner of winner of the Mr. Christie’s Book Award for children’s literature.
- Sunday, November 22 at 2:00 pm: Republic of Childhood: The Casket of Time with Andri Snaer Magnason
Don’t miss this conversation between Neil Wilson and Iceland’s Andri Snaer Magnason on climate, social change and the power of the imagination.